Uruguay Montevideo Mission

Uruguay Montevideo Mission
The Plaza Independencia where the employment office is located
Sister Heath is updating the blog tonight, so I hope you don't fall asleep reading it. We are staying in the Hotel Ibis still. Our apartment should be ready tomorrow, but we will see. We are spending money like crazy staying in hotels, eating out, taking taxis, etc. We will be glad to have a refrigerator, washing machine, stove, and microwave soon.

We are excited but overwhelmed after our first week here. We had a two-day training for the office staff in Spanish (the trainer spoke muy rapido.) It gave us a good taste for how much of the language we have to learn. I know the meanings of words, but they are used differently. For instance, "de acuerdo" means suddenly, but they use it like a transition from one thing to another. It's happening a lot. Jerry is working more on the idioms and the humor. I just pretend that I got the joke (or make up my own in my mind--hence I'm laughing when others aren't.)

Today, it stopped raining, so we didn't need our paragua (umbrella.) It was nice to walk.

We had a "break-the-fast" dinner this afternoon with the senior couples who work at the temple. We went to the temple yesterday afternoon, and being Saturday, it was so busy!! All the lockers were full, and we had to put our street clothes in a white tote above the lockers. It was crazy busy! We were the witness couple. That makes 100% for us in the South American temples now. I guess they are happy to get someone who knows what they are doing.

I will try to get pictures of the office (and the chapel we go to) downloaded this week sometime. Once we move, we will be without internet except at the office, so we may be pretty limited. Wish us luck in getting settled this week.

The church is still true and we are looking forward to helping people find jobs. Que tenga un buen dia. (Have a good day.)

Love,

Mom

4 comments:

courtney said...

Sounds like you had a great week! Are a lot of the other senior missionaries locals (from South America) or from the United States? Good luck with the move, love you guys!

Rachel said...

You guys are doing great so far! It's always overwhelming to do something new, but by the time you feel like you've truly got a hang of it, your mission will almost be over. :-)

The last two times Curtis and I did an Endowment session at the temple we were asked to be the witness couple as well. We've been asked so many times... in part, probably because we usual go at an earlier hour when there aren't as many people (or as many young couples), and I like to sit at the very front so I can see.

I wish you lots of luck on getting settled into your apartment this week. Everything will work out. Take care and have a great week!

JC Photography said...

How fun! It looks like your getting all settled in. I'm not sure I could handle it as well as you. I think it's amazing that you get to serve in the same area you served your first mission. I love it. Hope you continue to have a wonderful mission. Miss you both!

Dez said...

So great to read about your experiences and see new pictures! We miss you guys so much and really enjoyed hearing your message on our answering machine last week! You are in our thoughts and prayers and we look forward to hearing more from you!

Post a Comment